Although quilting can be a solitary hobby, it doesn’t have to be. Joining a quilt guild is a wonderful way to share your love of quilting with like-minded people. The benefits of joining a quilt guild are numerous!
- Make Friends with Other Quilters – Quilt guilds are a great way to make friends who quilt.
- Find Inspiration – Hearing other quilters talk about their creative process and seeing their work are great ways to find inspiration in your own projects.
- Get Feedback and Advice – Stuck on a tricky technique or wondering which background fabric looks best? Find helpful feedback from other quilters at a quilt guild meeting.
- Quilting Workshops and Retreats – Expand your quilting skills and find opportunities for fun social events by taking a workshop or participating in a retreat.
- Participate in Charity Projects – Give back to your community by participating in charity projects.
- Show Off Your Quilts – You’ve put in the hard work, now show your quilt off at “Sew” and Tell.
- Contest and Challenges – Jump start your creativity by participating in contests and challenges that are often centered around a specific theme.
Southern California is blessed with an abundance of both modern and traditional quilt guilds. Here’s a helpful list of quilt guilds in Orange County, LA County, and Riverside County.
Note: Due to the Covid pandemic, some meetings are being held in person with the option to attend via Zoom. Check with individual guilds to learn their current protocol. Unless otherwise noted, guilds meet in the evening. Find a comprehensive list here. http://www.sccqg.org/guild-information.htm
Modern Quilt Guilds:
The Modern Quilt Guild is a 501(c)(3) member association with local guilds located around the world. With a community of more than 16,000 members, their mission is “to support and encourage the growth and development of modern quilting through art, education, and community.” Their annual conference is QuiltCon, a four-day quilting extravaganza with classes, workshops, competitions, and vendors.
Orange County Modern Quilt Guild – Meets on the fourth Thursday of the month in Laguna Woods.
Los Angeles Modern Quilt Guild – Meets on the second Tuesday of the month in Los Angeles.
Inland Empire Modern Quilt Guild – Meets on the first Saturday of the month in Arlington.
Long Beach Modern Quilt Guild – Meets on the second Tuesday of the month in Long Beach.
Ventura Modern Quilt Guild – Meets on the second Monday of the month in Ventura.
Temecula Modern Quilt Guild – Meets on the third Thursday of the month in Murrietta.
Traditional Quilt Guilds:
Beach Cities Quilters Guild – Meets on the second Thursday of the month in Mission Viejo.
Flying Geese Quilters Guild – Meets on the second Monday of the month in Irvine.
Orange Grove Quilters Guild – Meets on the second Wednesday of the month at 9:30 AM in Garden Grove.
Crazy Quilters Guild – For Laguna Woods Village residents, this guild meets on the second Wednesday of the month.
Quilters By the Sea – Meets on the second Tuesday of the month in Long Beach.
Valley of the Mist Quilters Guild – Meets on the second Tuesday of the month in Temecula.